We have a nationally recognized practice in handling claims involving defamation and business disparagement. We assist our clients — who include public officials, professionals and corporations — with legal representation in the face of defamation that threatens their reputations, businesses and livelihoods. We can assist you with defamation or disparagement that occurred online or offline. Our lawyers aggressively investigate the matter and take the appropriate steps to correct the wrong and bring restitution.
We also represent people and corporations who are facing accusations of defamation involving libel or slander. Federal and state defamation laws are complex, including ANTI-SLAPP legislation, and it takes an experienced attorney to prosecute or defend these claims.
- We obtained a jury verdict in excess of $13 million in compensatory and punitive damages on behalf of the former President and CEO of a North American subsidiary of a German conglomerate in a defamation lawsuit arising out of our client’s wrongful termination. The $13 million awarded by the jury was one of the largest jury verdicts of the year in Illinois, and it is believed to be the largest award in this type of case in U.S. history. The trial court’s judgment was affirmed by the Illinois Appellate Court, and the Illinois Supreme Court denied the defendants’ petition for leave to appeal.
- We defended a securities brokerage firm and its officers and employees before a three-member arbitration panel in an action alleging defamation, among other causes of action. Following a five-day hearing, the panel dismissed with prejudice the defamation claims against the brokerage firm and its officers.
- We secured a victory in the Illinois Appellate Court when the court affirmed dismissal of all claims of defamation against a leading Chicago non-profit business organization. The appellate court issued its 31-page published opinion relying solely on the strength of the briefs and without entertaining oral argument. In positioning this matter for a favorable appellate ruling, we prevailed on a successful motion to dismiss in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- We obtained dismissal with prejudice of a defamation suit brought against an Illinois elected official.
- We represented a Chicago lawyer in prosecuting defamation claims against another Chicago lawyer. We favorably settled the claims after defeating the other side’s motion to dismiss.
Tabet DiVito & Rothstein partner Gino L. DiVito authored an article featured in the December 2023 issue of the Illinois Bar Journal. Gino’s article is titled “What I Learned From Teaching Trial Advocacy: The Direct Examination,” and is the third part of his...
Tabet DiVito & Rothstein partner Gino L. DiVito authored an article featured in the November 2023 issue of the Illinois Bar Journal. Gino’s article is titled “What I Learned From Teaching Trial Advocacy: The Essential Elements of Persuasion: What To Do and How and...