We defend clients against a variety of class actions brought under state and federal law.
Our experienced attorneys successfully defend clients in a wide array of class action lawsuits before judges and juries in both state and federal courts on a variety of subject matters, including:
- Unfair Trade Practices
- Consumer Credit & Fair Credit Reporting
- Debt Collection
- Telemarketing & Direct Marketing
- Wage & Hour
In addition, we counsel clients on regulatory and compliance matters to ensure that their business practices conform with relevant legal obligations, and to minimize the risk of lawsuits in governmental enforcement actions. Likewise, when settlement opportunities arise, we employ all available dispute resolution methods to achieve a sensible business solution. However, when settlement is not possible, we can defend the case from start to finish, including dispositive motions, class certification, and trial.
- We represent many companies in defending against class actions involving the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and other claims alleging violations related to the use of auto-dialers, violations of the Do Not Call list, and so-called “blast fax” advertisements.
- We represent many companies in defending against class actions involving the Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA) and other claims involving alleged violations of the Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR).
- We represent many companies in defending against class actions involving the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA).
- We represent many companies in defending against class actions involving alleged unfair and deceptive trade practices, including claims alleging violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act (ICFA).
The Latest on Class Action Defense
TDR Wins Early Dismissal of Consumer Fraud Class Action Lawsuit
On June 3, 2022, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois issued an opinion granting TDR’s motion to dismiss and dismissing a putative consumer fraud class action with prejudice. In the underlying lawsuit, the plaintiff alleged that...
TDR Successfully Defeats Putative Class Action Lawsuit
TDR partner Tim Hudson successfully obtained dismissal of a putative class action lawsuit on behalf of a technology company that facilitates the sale of health insurance policies. The plaintiff filed a complaint in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of...
Tim Hudson Installed as Treasurer for the Federal Bar Association – Chicago Chapter
TDR partner Tim Hudson was recently installed as the Treasure of the Federal Bar Association – Chicago Chapter, which represents and supports federal court practitioners and judges throughout the Chicagoland area. In a ceremony conducted via videoconference due to...
Seventh Circuit Issues Stern Warning to Violators of Telemarketing Statutes
The Seventh Circuit's recent decision in United States v. DISH Network LLC, 954 F.3d 970 (7th Cir. 2020), comes with a stern warning to companies that violate state and federal telemarketing statutes: "Someone whose maximum penalty reaches the mesosphere only...
Court Finds Duty To Defend Biometric Act Claim Under “Personal Injury” Coverage
Illinois policyholders are likely covered under their insurance policies for a complaint alleging a violation of the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (the "Biometric Act") (740 ILCS 14/1 et seq.). In West Bend Mut. Ins. Co. v. Krishna Schaumburg...