Amanda Catalano focuses her practice in complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts. She has experience at all phases of litigation, from pleadings through appellate practice. She also represents clients in private arbitrations and mediations and prior to the onset of litigation to deliver innovative alternative dispute resolution strategies.
Ms. Catalano regularly counsels clients in a variety of business matters, including breach of contract actions, partnership disputes, labor and employment matters, trade secrets disputes, defamation actions, and constitutional challenges.
Ms. Catalano received her J.D. from Boston University School of Law, where she was a member of the International Law Journal and the National Appellate Advocacy Competition team. She earned her B.A. from the University of Chicago, where she captained the women’s varsity soccer team.
Ms. Catalano is a member of the Appellate Lawyers Association, the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, the Federal Bar Association, and the Chicago Bar Association. In 2021, SuperLawyers Magazine named her a “Rising Star,” a distinction reserved for the top 2.5% of Illinois lawyers under age 40.
Prior to joining Tabet DiVito & Rothstein, Ms. Catalano served as a law clerk for the Honorable Jeffrey T. Gilbert in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Linneman v. Vita-Mix Corp., 970 F.3d 621 (6th Cir. 2020): Successfully argued that a fee award in a class action dispute was unreasonable, resulting in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit vacating the fee award.
- Hayward v. Scorte, 2020 IL App (1st) 190476: Obtained reversal of personal judgments against a former officer and employee of a corporate judgment debtor in a case involving the interpretation of statutes governing judgment enforcement proceedings.
- DeRolf v. Risinger Bros. Transfer, Inc., 259 F. Supp. 3d 876 (C.D. Ill. 2017): Obtained dismissal of all claims in a putative class and collective action lawsuit alleging violations of various employment laws, including the FLSA, the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act, and the Illinois Minimum Wage Law.
- Secured dismissal of all claims against a client advocating in support of the #MeToo movement in a high-profile defamation lawsuit.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a federal jury trial in which the jury rejected the plaintiff’s breach of contract claim and awarded damages to the client on its counterclaim.
- Represented a minority member of a limited liability company in an arbitration alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties and an unlawful squeeze-out campaign, resulting in the company offering the minority member a favorable settlement midway through arbitration.
- Obtained dismissal of claims alleging breach of non-competition agreement and tortious interference with contract in a highly contested dispute between business competitors.
- Won summary judgment for the defendant in a case alleging breach of contract and unjust enrichment claims.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Appellate Lawyers Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Federal Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Boston University School of Law, JD, 2012
- University of Chicago, BA, 2008
- Honorable Jeffrey T. Gilbert, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2014-2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois